“I just wanted to thank you for all your help and support. I would like to thank Joy for all the phone calls and answering of ‘stupid’ questions, and also to the two Christinas for basically holding my hand through the procedure. Women like me are very lucky to have places like Women’s Health.
I can’t thank you enough for all the time and energy you’ve given me. All of you were kind and courteous, honest and direct. You answered all my questions to the best of your ability, and made me feel at ease. I felt very safe. ”
— Client at Women's Health Specialists
What Is An Abortion?
An abortion is the termination of a pregnancy. A person can choose the abortion pill, given at the clinic, or they may choose the procedure performed at the clinic.
The Reality Of Abortion
- Nearly 1 in 3 women has an abortion by age 45.
- Abortion is one of the safest and most common medical procedures in the United States.
- Approximately 1.3 million women have an abortion per year, and 90% are in the first trimester of pregnancy.
- Less than 1% of abortions result in serious complications.
Having An Abortion In California
- In California, there are no restrictions on a woman's right to choose abortion, such as parental consent, age limits, waiting periods, etc.
- California recognizes the right of every person to have a safe, legal procedure.
- Abortion services are covered by Medi-Cal, state funded insurance.
- If you don't have insurance, we can help you sign up for Medi-Cal.
- Doctors, physician's assistants, certified nurse midwives and nurse practitioners can all train to perform abortions.
- Youth do not need a guardian or partner's permission to make decisions about abortion.
Your Legal Rights
Abortion became legal in 1973 by the US the Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade. The Supreme Court said that a woman’s right to privacy could not be violated by any state. Abortion could no longer be legislated by the states, with the exception of second trimester abortion. The court said that states could make laws regarding second trimester abortion, but only if these laws were designed to protect the woman’s life.
We are committed to a woman’s right to freely choose abortion, and we have weathered the storm of protests.